Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Air Masses and Fronts



The air mass most effecting Medford Oregon is the Maritime Polar or (mP) air mass. I found that this air mass greatly effects weather patterns for this area during the winter seasons. During the summer, It seems that the main air mass contributing to weather is the maritime tropical, however I could not find much to prove this. But from what I learned, the Maritime tropical air mass seems to effect western Mexico and California which is very close to my location. Medford is located about 45 minutes away from the California border and experiences very similar summers.

http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/classes/met130/notes/chapter11/na_airmasses.html

It seems that the only one that may be effecting Medford is the current cold front in the western united states. However, it seems that the Rocky Mountains may act as a barrier for this front making the effects seen minimal. There does not seem to be any major fronts effecting Medford at this time. I believe that from what I've learned that cyclonic activity is usually associated with fronts. Since Medford is not very close to any front at the moment I would say that cyclonic activity is minimal or not apparent. I also conclude from this other map of the meandering of the ITCZ that it does not effect Medford due to it not being within the range of movement of the ITCZ.http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/weather-surface-maps

http://www.newmediastudio.org/DataDiscovery/Hurr_ED_Center/Stages_of_Hurricane_Dev/ITCZ/ITCZ.html

I believe that Medford may experience somewhat unique weather patterns than surrounding areas because it is encompassed by mountains, sitting in the middle of Rogue Valley. I think that possibly it might experience the phenomenon that we discussed in class last time, lee side lows. I think that these effects would be minimal since the mountains are not as tall as the Rockys. Also, I know that when I lived there that we would experience somewhat dense fog in the mornings. I would label this as radiation fog because due to the Mountains, wind was minimal and the surface was moist and there were a lot of local water bodies located throughout the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment